Nova Scotia New Farmers
The Nova Scotia Department of Agriculture and Perennia Food and Agriculture Inc., a provincial crown agency have resources to support current and future farmers through complementary service offerings.
Looking for expert advice for your farm? Our team of professionals is available to assist you. Our services are available to anyone in Nova Scotia who is farming or thinking of starting a farm.
If you’re looking for:
- general information about farming in Nova Scotia
- information on how to start a farm
- a new farm site visit
- business planning advice
- succession planning advice
- how to join a 4-H club, or start a new club
- support for a sector-level project
- assistance with a local food initiative
- leadership development for a rural organization
- information on grants and loans available to farmers
Perennia offers government-supported no fee services to eligible Nova Scotia producers who own a provincially-registered farm operation and are producing for commercial sale.
If you are looking for:
- individual production advice in horticulture, livestock, soils and field crops by phone, electronically and/or in person (farm calls are determined per issue based on need at the specialist’s discretion)
- publications and information online and in hard copy on producing commercial crops and herds: issue-specific workshops
- practical applied research on new varieties, pest protection strategies, new production technologies, feeding techniques, body conditioning, etc.
- industry development projects with collaborative partners to tackle large scale issues impeding a specific sector